Mountain Activities for Children and the Whole Family
Children’s Mountain Games & Activities
Adventure sports and mountain activities are the best excuse to learn, breathe fresh air, play sports and create stronger bonds in families.
There is nothing better for children – and parents – than to be out in nature to learn, first-hand and in a practical way, everything they study at school. The mountains are a medium that offers families everything they need to spend a weekend or a fun and adventurous holiday. And the children enjoy it more than anyone else.
There are a lot of creative games and activities that are totally safe for the whole family. Do you want to know what they are? Today in Columbus we’ll tell you about some mountain activities you can do with children so that you can spend an unforgettable time in contact with nature… Don’t miss out!
Bicycle Toursmountain-bike tours
There are simple routes for cycling with children and family. These routes pass through signposted roads, rural paths and highways with hardly any traffic, so there is no risk.
If you are going to enjoy a ride in the mountains, do not forget to take the necessary precautions such as wearing the appropriate helmets, ensuring the correct functioning of the bicycles and of course, do not ride after sunset.
Children enjoy exercising outdoors and playing at being explorers, getting to know the most remote places, and you are their best guide and adventure partner!
Horseback Riding Excursions
There are many equestrian centers near the mountain that offer horseback riding for the whole family. Also some rural houses have stables. You can choose to take a course according to your level, or simply enjoy a quiet ride in the mountains with your family.
The children will love to have and feel the horses close to them, as well as learn to ride them. Animals and mountain activities for the little ones… They will have a great time!
Climbing for the whole family
Yes, it’s possible! There are very simple, child-friendly outdoor routes. Climbing schools usually have introductory courses for the whole family. If you don’t have the climbing equipment, these courses usually have the equipment included.
Climbing is one of the most popular mountain sports, and can be practiced by children as well as adults, and is a perfect sport for building children’s confidence as well as learning to manage stress. After climbing, they’ll feel like they can handle anything.
There are natural areas with authorized campsites for the whole family so that you can enjoy an unforgettable vacation. Sleeping outdoors, telling stories in the moonlight? Your children will probably say yes. You can organize a simple hiking route and then camp.
The games are perfect for your children to learn about the flora and fauna of the mountains, which will help them to respect and value nature.
Furthermore, through games they stimulate their creativity, imagination and increase their confidence when doing activities with their parents. There is nothing more important for a child than spending time with his or her parents.
There are as many games on the mountain as you can think of, but we’ll give you some clues:
- Flying a kite: something as simple as flying a kite can be very entertaining and exciting for children.
- Identify trees: to learn the names of the trees and have fun at the same time, you can play to say out loud the names of the trees and the children have to look for it, the first one who finds it, wins.
- Gathering the same objects: you can choose some things present in the environment. Then they have to look for the same objects.
- Make necklaces: nature offers infinite possibilities for making jewelry: flowers, sticks, leaves… You only need to carry a string to make the pendant. They won’t want to take it off!
- Orientation games: this game needs a little more elaboration, but it is worth it. It consists of making orienteering games and returning from a route with the orienteering data given.
- Build a hut: Who hasn’t built a hut in the mountain? You only need wooden sticks and a blanket to create an authentic Indian tepee.
In addition to these activities, you can also make an album and paste the leaves of the plants you collect, so they can take a souvenir of their vacation in the mountains.
As you will see, there are a lot of mountain activities for children and for the whole family. The little ones will never forget the family holidays in the mountains, the names of the trees they learned or the adventures they had with their parents.
And who knows, maybe this will awaken their taste for adventure, for tomorrow to be great adventurers of Columbus Outdoors.